Ohio Historical Society Historical Marker Unveiling Triangle Park,
Saturday, April 30, 2005
Ohio Historical Marker Inscription:
Site of the First Game in the NFL
On October 3, 1920 the first game matching two professional teams in the league that was to become the National Football League (NFL) was held on this field within Triangle Park. In that first game, the Dayton Triangles defeated the Columbus Panhandles 14-0. The Triangles’ Lou Partlow scored the first touchdown and George “Hobby” Kinderdine kicked the first extra point. The Dayton Triangles team was sponsored by three factories founded by Dayton businessmen Edward Deeds and Charles Kettering. The factories: Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (DELCO), Dayton Metal Products Company (D.M.P. Co.) and Domestic Engineering Company (DECO, later called Delco-Light) formed an industrial triangle of plants in downtown Dayton, Ohio.
Montgomery County Historical Society
The Ohio Historical Society
Reproduction of any part of this work without the permission of the author is unlawful.
Copyright © 2005