On April 30, 2005 the City of Dayton and the Montgomery County Historical Society unveiled a new Ohio Historical Society historical marker in Triangle Park, Dayton, Ohio.
Ohio Historical Marker
Site of First Game in the NFL
On October 3, 1920 the first game matching two professional teams of the American Professional Football Association, a league that would become the National Football League (NFL), was held on this field within Triangle Park. In that game, the Dayton Triangles defeated the Columbus Panhandles 14-0. The Triangles’ Lou Partlow scored the first touchdown and George “Hobby” Kinderdine kicked the first extra point. Three factories founded by Dayton businessmen Edward Deeds and Charles Kettering sponsored the Dayton Triangles team. The factories were the Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company DELCO), Dayton Metal Products Company (D.M.P. Co.) and Domestic Engineering Company (DECO), latter called Delco-Light. They formed an industrial triangle of plants in downtown Dayton.
Montgomery County Historical Society
The Ohio Historical Society
This historical marker commemorates the Dayton Triangles football team that hosted the first football game between two teams of the football league that would become the National Football League (NFL).