Dayton Baseball Parks
Association Grounds (opening 1884)
In 1884, the Dayton "Gem Cities" played their home games on this field. The Grounds may have been in the vicinity of what later became the NCR property along the Great Miami River.
West Side Park (opening 1889)
In 1889 the Dayton "Reds" played one season at West Side Park, located on Williams Street.
Located at the intersection of Fairview Avenue and North Main Street on the northwest corner.
It was first used by the Dayton "Old Soldiers" in 1897. The team took its name from the Veterans Hospital that was established to care for Civil War veterans. The team continued to play there through the 1911 season. At the time, the north Main Street trolley line ended there. The baseball grounds were part of the general amusement park there, including a dance hall and a vaudeville theater.
The Dayton Board of Education bought the property and built the C.J. Brown School (now razed). The school covered what had been the infield of Fairview Baseball Park.
The Old Soldiers moved to Highland Park in the 1912 season. Highland was located at the intersection of Linden Avenue and Kolping on the northeast corner of that intersection. The team played there through the 1916 season.
North Side Park
Just northwest of Leo and Troy Pike. It was just in back of what is now the Philips Swimming Club.
Dimensions: 370 Left, 420 Center, 285 Right with a high fence.
Ducks Park / Hudson Field
On West Third Street just at the bottom of the slope rising to the Soldier's Home on the south side of Third Street. The Park was renamed to Hudson Field after World War II. The Park was used through the 1942 season. Then, in 1946, it was used again through the 1951.
Fifth Third Field
Home of the Dayton Dragons. One of the largest stadiums in the Midwest League, Fifth Third Field is notable in that it served as the home for the return of pro ball to Dayton, Ohio (the last pro team in town had moved in 1951). It is also one of three Fifth Third Fields in pro ball, the other being in Comstock (home of the Midwest League's West Michigan Whitecaps) and Toledo (home of the International League's Toledo Mud Hens).
Year Opened: 2000
Dayton Triangles main page
Reproduction of any part of this work without the permission of the author is unlawful.
Copyright © 2005